As a new report exhibits, several companies are failing in maintaining the rudimentary cyber hygiene & thus, leave themselves susceptible to be hacked. Well! This is perilous for not just such exposed businesses but even the whole digital world. Wondering how? The answer lies in an old saying – one malicious fish can spoil the entire pond. Passionate to prevent enterprises from being cyber-attacked and turn into such fishes that disseminate malevolent infections, I am here with this blog.
It is a guide prepared under the supervision of mavens at an online tech support company that has been serving people with the best security tips and help services. So, go through this informative post and be conversant to why organizations are facing failure in relation to cybersecurity. This will aid you in hardening your company’s defense and reducing the possibilities of successful cyber-attacks in 2019 and coming years.
Ways Organizations Fails at Cybersecurity Basics
- Taking Long to Deal with Unauthorized Users or Devices: All new gadgets or users connecting to your network needn’t necessarily harmless. There are chances that the unknown people and devices can be a trap set by attackers want to access your network. As removing unauthorized access can take hours, firms usually ignore it. But remember – even a small unlawful link can damage all systems of yours.
Solution: Be strict about having an accurate list of authorized devices and correct system level authentication so as to prevent unauthorized connections.
- Fail to Monitor Software Running over Network: We live in an era of self-service where shadow applications pose risks to networks. Almost 80% of companies lack keeping track of all applications they are deploying as maintaining an inventory with every app takes a lot of time & is really difficult.
Solution: Application whitelisting aids in running only sanctioned software, thus, reducing the chances of dubious programs entering into your enterprise.
- Infrequent scanning for threats, vulnerabilities, or slow patching: The advanced attacks are so nasty that they can easily evade detection. However, most companies conduct scans for vulnerabilities, threats, and more but on longer basis. Moreover, when it comes to security patches, organizations ignore scanning saying that it takes a longer period of near about a month.
Solution: Go for the vulnerability scans supported by patch management systems that encapsulate both the OS & third-party apps. This ensures automatic installation of updated versions.
- Ineffective Log Monitoring: Log Monitoring is a peerless way to identify unusual or suspicious activity that could impact the functionality of organizations. Most businesses aren’t taking log seriously and review them once or twice in a month.
Solution: Gather & monitor as many logs as you can. After that, put them into a well-organized system that can easily be aggregated, reviewed, and filtered.
- Allowing Misconfigurations: Improper configuration is a common fact that leads to a number of successful data breaches.
Solution: Deploy configuration management tools. They ensure automatic implementation and redeployment of configuration settings, both for cloud environments & on-premises.
While cyber-attacks are continually grabbing attention, organizations are still undone with their comprehensive protection. Failing to keep up with the basic security practices is enough to show their carelessness. Security plays a significant role in improving both – the health and the wealth of your business, so, consider it carefully. Be ambitious & join the battle against cybercriminals. If need any help, consult online tech support company in Australia.